Monday, June 04, 2007

London 2012

New London 2012 Olympic logo

The new logo for the London 2012 Olympics was unveiled this morning.

When I first looked at, I though it was a very poorly drawn stylised lion.

It was only about an hour later that I read somewhere that the logo actually said "2012".

Oops.

Failure of intuitiveness.

I’m sure it meets the design criteria, and must have lots of street cred given that it looks like it’s been drawn by a graffiti artist with a lurid-coloured aerosol can of paint. But it’s as if they tried to avoid any colour that could be associated with England (red, white and blue) or the Olympic rings.

New London 2012 Olympic logo

Seb Coe explained/justified:

"It reaches out to young people in new and creative ways and uses the language that they understand and all the technology that is familiar to us.

It is different, exciting and it really defines us as a city, a country and an organisation."

Interim (old) London 2012 logo

A real shame given that the previous interim logo was so stylish! Maybe the new one will grow on us ... through repeated use.

So what do you think?

I like some of the alternative logos that have been emailed into the BBC. My favourites below ...

2 comments:

Liberal Republican said...

I thought it was a joke when I first saw it.

But, I seriously cannot understand the choice of it.

Anonymous said...

I have to say I quite like it. I didn't realise it was supposed to signify 2012. Now that I know that I'm not so sure about it.