Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Lies, damned lies ... and data mining by loyalty schemes

Being a signed up member of the Secret Sainsburys club, and not being a big fan of Tesco, and I get a lot more post from Nectar than Tesco Clubcard.

The letters and vouchers are incredibly customised, offering you savings off a slightly more upmarket version of the kind of goods that the retailer knows you buy regularly. Sainsburys/Nectar even send you a voucher for a free box of chocolates on your birthday.

Tesco Extra at Ipswich

But I burst out laughing when I saw the notice at the top of the Tesco Clubcard letter. There, in the spot that advertises the Christmas trading options at your local Tesco store were the opening hours for their Ipswich Extra branch! Not Knocknagoney.

Turns out that the only Tesco store I’ve bought anything in over the last six months was the massive Ipswich store beside the Toys’R’Us Copdock roundabout. So Tesco now thinks that I live in Belfast, but shop in Suffolk.

Maybe I should call in again tonight when I’m over staying in the hotel next door and buy something to keep up the pretence.

Isn’t data mining a wonderful tool.

2 comments:

Timothy Belmont said...

Their customer service appears to be fairly satisfactory if one sends them an email query; however, in my experience, it's an utter waste of time requesting anything at their customer service counters in their stores.

ruthEbabes said...

I looooove Sainsburys and loathe when I have to go to Tesco.... just don't like it at all, there must something psychological about it, but I definitely feel far more relaxed in Sainsburys.