(whether controversial or not)
After a recent incident, I want to remind you about the important rules when appointing new members:
- Ask applicant for list of referees (minimum of two).
- Do not rely on references supplied by the applicants along with their application forms.
- Write to the referees and ask for a new reference.
- Check that you actually checked the references, and received something back from each named referee.
- Read what the referees had to say.
- Ensure you are you satisfied with what the referees say.
- Don't walk into trouble.
Secretary of State for NI