Thursday, January 03, 2008

Review of 2007 films

It's the time of the year for making lists and reviewing the past 12 months. So time to look back at 2007's films.

The best films float to the top, the worst ones sink to the bottom.

The best: The Bourne Ultimatum, Exodus, 28 Weeks Later, Hallam Foe, The Last King of Scotland and Shooter.

The worst: Sparkle and Zodiac.

Last year (2006), two foreign films made the top three; this year, they're mostly clumped together in the middle - though special mention should go to Private Fears in Public Places (Coeurs), Tell No One (Ne le dis à personne) and Black Book (Zwartboek).

Do leave a comment if you violently disagree!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it terrifying to realise you can go to the cinema twice a week for most of the year and compile a completely different list of favourites to somebody else. I think I've only seen one of your recommendations; I have some catching up to :)

You can have a poke at mine by clicking on my name link here.

CW said...

What - no mention of This is England or American Gangster?! Worth checking out if you haven't seen them. Bourne Ultimatum overrated in my opinion.

Cosmo said...

Just watched 'Bourne Ultimatum' this weekend. Yeah, a good movie. Some interesting behind the scenes stuff on DVD.

I enjoyed watching 'Sunshine' on the big screen. A good movie with a closing-shot reveal that ranks up there with the Statue of Liberty in 'Planet of the Apes'.

Did you catch 'Once' at all? (I think this was released in 2007? It was a different relase date in Ireland) It's now out on DVD. I really liked this for a couple of reasons: some great music, good storyline, and the vacuum repair shop where the main charachter works is where I buy my vacuum bags (!!!)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Coeurs! I loved that film when I took myself along of an evening to see it. What made me go was that it was directed by Alain Resnais, who also made my favourite film, Last Year In Marienbad (1961). To be honest, I had no idea he was still alive. Or Alain Robbe-Grillet, its screenwriter, which I found out this week. (Just assumed because it was black and white they'd be dead. How stupid.)

What I liked, however, about Coeurs, was how funny it was despite being a very miserable film. I wouldn't mind seeing the original Ayckbourn play.

Alan in Belfast (Alan Meban) said...

cosmo - no missed Once.

stewart - Coeurs was fascinating as with such a small cast it occupied the wide cinema screen, yet in a very play-like fashion. It was clever and fun ... yet another reminder that European cinema is worth checking out.