Friday, June 08, 2018

Ignition - infested by insects? or watching humanity? (Tinderbox at The MAC until 9 June)

The culmination of Tinderbox’s nine Play Machine course which focuses on the creation of new theatrical performances is a new work under the banner of Ignition that is staged by the performers, writers and theatre makers who have completed the course.

13 artists.

5 days.

1 provocation.

“The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong in the world.”

This year the performers produced a piece of physical theatre that used insects and their stylised movement. Each insect has a different set of movements. Walking about on all fours has become natural for many in the cast. Splayed fingers like spiders, the muscular movement of a worm, buzzy bees, nasty wasps, a floating butterfly.

Yet we were also watching the way that people fit in with the crowd, march to a leader’s beat, find themselves ostracised or demonised or attacked by their own, allow the weakest to be consumed by the fitter. Swarms of refugees. Lowly and impoverished workers. There was a richness to the scenes.

I’m shivering and desperately wanting to scratch my back as I type. Now my neck. I need a shower to stop imagining that small beasts are creeping up by short sleeved shirt. Mistake. A polo neck jumper may not be trendy or suit the good weather, but it may be the perfect fashion choice to see this work of theatre.

With little dialogue and little in the way of a narrative arc between scenes, a certain amount of head scratching can be expected. Like dance, this style of physical theatre often tells a story in your mind, building layers, editing ideas, before finally one scene – for me, the woman cleaning – clinches the deal and I finally think I know what I’m watching.

It makes be think of The Killers’ song Human:
Are we human or are we dancer? / My sign is vital, my hands are cold / And I’m on my knees looking for the answer / Are we human or are we dancer?

The ensemble cast each get a chance to shine/buzz/pretend to be at a spin class. Ignition is an imaginative show . Catch the final performance at The MAC on Saturday afternoon at 4pm.

Expressions of interest are welcomed for Tinderbox’s next Play Machine course which will begin in September and run for nine months.

I’m away to get some talcum powder.

Production photos: Ciaran Bagnall Design

No comments: